Thursday, September 1, 2011

the mizpah pin


I have been the custodian of this little pin for many years.  It has a veil of sadness over it as keepsakes often do.
The Mizpah pin was a popular gift to a loved one as a symbol of closeness and to keep the wearer out of harms way. It is believed to originate from Genesis 31:49


"MAY THE LORD WATCH BETWEEN ME AND THEE WHEN WE ARE ABSENT ONE FROM ANOTHER"

Mizpah means watchtower in Hebrew.  The hearts represent two people united by love and the ivy leaves signify the closely binding ties of affection. 
 

 My Mizpah pin was always kept in an old black metal coin box with other old trinkets. I remember feeling rather secretive and special when I went through the old tin.  I felt like an explorer finding out all about the treasures within.
My Dad told me that this pin was one of two that his uncle gave to his sister and his mother before he left for war  (WW1).  As great uncle James Campbell Rule died at Lone Pine Gallipoli in 1915 he left these keepsakes for us to treasure.  The pin I have was given to my Grandmother almost 100 years ago and is in my safe keeping for now.

 Are you the keeper of a little trinket from the past?  Leave a comment and tell me all about it...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me everything!